Wednesday, April 1, 2009

eggs running out our ears


A couple of years ago we bought four chickens. They started laying eggs, and they were lovely eggs, and that was a great deal of fun. But then a dog killed one of them, and we only had three chickens, and three chickens lay about two eggs a day. There are six of us, and sometimes we just didn't have enough eggs.

So we decided to get some more chickens. Problem is, you can only order a minimum number of chickens, and it ain't 4.

Long story short, (hm...too late) now we have a lot of chickens, and therefore a lot of eggs. They are lovely, delicious, brown and green eggs, from chickens that get lots and lots of green plants to eat (thereby increasing the level of Omega-3s in their eggs) and live a happy life scratching around. Which seems to be the happiest thing they can possibly do. (Aren't you sorta glad you're not a chicken? I dunno, might be an easier life...)

At any rate, we can't eat all these. You want some? They're $2.50/dz, $3.50/18, and if you want to get these eggs on a regular basis, you can get a dozen a week for $10/month, or 18 a week for $14/month. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Okay, let me know.

~Erin~

Oh, and by the way. I only mean folks in my area. Sorry, Emily, I'm not mailing you any eggs.

3 comments:

Marsha said...

Growing up we had some chickens. I don't really remember it because I was pretty young but apparently I had a favorite chicken I would pick up and carry around. So I am not a total "city girl" but I have a silly question. I have never seen or heard of a green egg (besides the Dr. Suess book). Are they any different?

Erin said...

No, no difference. They just have a green shell. Bizarre, I know, but fun...

e. said...

not cool, erin. not cool. i feel so....singled out. don't hate me because i don't live in Georgia. don't hate me because i'm beautiful.