I have Attention Deficit Disorder.
It is who I am. It is what defines me as a person. It is how God created me, and he surely wants me to embrace and love myself, so I embrace and love this part of myself. I am blessed with ADD. ADD is beautiful. Can I change? Why would I want to?
People often ask how those who are blessed with ADD “cope” in society. I admit that it is, at times, difficult, but that’s because the public mindset is against us. People see it as a disorder, something broken about us. Well, that’s all wrong, of course. It’s just the way we happen to see the world, and is as valid as any other viewpoint.
But here’s the problem. We’ve been discriminated against. We comprise roughly 3-5% of the population, and I think it’s time our voice was heard. If we group together, galvanize behind our cause, we can change society, force people to accept, tolerate, appreciate us.
We have to push for change. We have to get some of these oppressive societal rules altered to accommodate our different but perfectly legitimate worldview. Here is what I’d like to see happen:
1) Late fees must be made completely illegal. If I cannot remember to pay my bills on time, or if you choose to live an ADD lifestyle and you choose not to remember, we should not be penalized for it.
2) Legislation must be passed that allows me to start my appointments any time of day I remember to show up. The rescheduling of my dentist’s appointment because I am more than fifteen minutes late is closed-minded and oppressive to my lifestyle choice.
3) The atrocity of drugging people with an ADD lifestyle to “help” them “behave” in schools and at work must be seen for what it is-the oppression of people’s God-given rights. If schools and society value creativity and imagination as much as they say they do, then why are there bells and worksheets and rules that stifle them?
4) Employers must not be allowed to fire people because of “poor performance” related to showing up late, missing meetings, daydreaming or following a great idea instead of following instructions. People with ADD (or ADD lifestyle) should not be required to identify themselves to employers because of potential discrimination issues.
5) The military must be made to accommodate our people. This business of rigid schedules, high expectations, and punishment for aberrations, is cruel and discriminatory. If a soldier chooses to stay up the whole night reading a captivating novel, he should not be forced to attend training the next day. His choices should be respected. Many beautiful, creative things could happen that would seriously help the military out if they would magnify the strengths of their ADD troops instead of trying to train them out of them.
I know we can create a better world for ourselves and our children. But the public attitude toward us must be changed. Terms like “grow up”, “act your age”, “be responsible”, “pay attention”, and “stop fidgeting” are offensive and outdated. We must bring about a new climate of tolerance and respect for all people, regardless of race, color, creed, gender, sexual orientation, or attention level. It has always been our right to live the way we choose. Now society needs to catch up.
I watch with great interest the struggles of those who fight for same-sex marriage rights. I am pulling for them, because their fight is our fight. If they win, if they can push through laws that make society recognize, uphold, and defend their rights, we’re next!
3 comments:
Ok, I'm not sure if you meant this to be hilariouus, but I nearly wet myself right here at my desk at work. Mostly because I have ADD lifestyle and I am really ready to see some laws passed my favor. United we stand!
I finally get it...ha ha ha. I'm with you all the way. Let me know when the protests begin and if I'm I "choose" to remember I'll come and join you.
i'm all for no late fees... as it stands right now, i have a multitude of late fees at the library!! (I blame it on the kids, I mean, it was hidden in a box of toys or under the bed or in a drawer or... you get the point:)
Post a Comment