Thursday, October 2, 2008

too happy

“I’m too…happy,” a friend told me when I asked her if she’d written anything lately. “It’s hard to write when you have, happy husband, happy children, happy life…” I thought about her and her lack of writing-inducing angst this morning.


As the sun came up over the tall trees that form the rim of my world, I was walking back up the gravel driveway toward the house. It needs a new roof, I thought. The chickens need water, I thought. The kids’ll be up soon, I thought. Many things that need tending. Every day a day’s worth of the kind of work that makes lives run, builds the framework of memories.


Breathe in, breathe out. Wake up, go to sleep. Make meals, clean up. Wash clothes, wear them, wash them again. Nothing new, nothing earth-shattering. I’m with her. What’s to write about?


Only this:


-In my corner of Georgia summer has melted into fall. The air is cold at dawn and dusk, turning to crisp in between. All the outdoor projects that have waited through the blistering, steamy months are suddenly possible. I put lovely new paint on all my shutters one breezy afternoon this week.


-Today I sat on the edge of one of the garden boxes and planted the fall garden. (Don’t do as I have done, I’m very late.) Cabbage, kohlrabi, bok choi, brussels sprouts, turnips, radishes, lettuce. My toddler sang and shoveled soil out of the boxes onto the ground, and it was a lovely garden day. All we had to pay for this beautiful moment was four packs of seeds dumped on the kitchen floor and cabinets painted white with latex paint and a broom.


-I took some of those nasty boards from the dining room floor and sawed, sanded, screwed, painted them up into two picket-fence headboards for Katie’s room. Got them all in there, went to get the bed frames I had in the garage, and found that they’re not the kind of bed frames that have feet. So…now I have two pretty fences sitting against the wall in that room there and the kids are scratching their heads about their crazy mother.


So that’s it. Nothing particular is going on, but life as usual. Which all by itself is a blessing. I promise to let you all know when I have a moment’s worth of angst worth philosophizing over. But for now, it’s good, in its way, to be too happy to write.

3 comments:

Shauna said...

I'm glad life is good. Autumn is my favorite time of year, and I've been out working in my yard a lot too. You should post a picture of those headboards you made.

HOWEITGOES said...

Interesting idea...too happy? Is there such a thing? I'm glad for her and for you.

I have the most trouble writing when I am too unhappy. I hate to leak it all out for everyone to see. Like I everyone else, I like to keep those sentiments tucked away. So, finding some sentiments to share is really the tricky part, isn't it.

I loved seeing your day in the life.... It is very peaceful to imagine you walking up your drive and digging in your garden.

Thanks for sharing whatever comes to mind.

Amber Cathey said...

The ancient, and not so ancient, Greeks always warned that being too happy attracted the attention of the Gods - and if you remember their Gods, attention was far more dangerous than neglect. They were even afraid to praise their babies or children for fear of making the Gods angry or jealous.

The Quran: Chapter 57 (The Iron): Verse 23 So that you may not grieve for what has escaped you, nor be exultant at what He has given you; and Allah does not love any arrogant boaster.

Being too happy seemed to be a dangerous thing in years past - and I understand how it can seem to stem creative flow. Since I got married, my poetry is stinky. Then again, I read some of it from years ago and it was also a little stinky.

To heck with caution - I'm happy too.